Friday, January 2, 2009

Faux Chilaquiles

Wow. This is the best thing I've made all year. Wait, this is the only thing I've made this year. But still. This was freakin' awesome.

I took the last of the leftover carnitas that MIL made, and shredded it. Fried it in a dry skillet until crispy, dumped it onto a plate. At the same time, I "scrambled" an egg, the way Hubby likes it - crack the egg into the pan, cook until almost set, poke the yoke, flip, cook a little more until the yolk isn't runny, remove from the heat.

In the skillet used to crisp the carnitas, I heated up some of MIL's homemade chile sauce, then tossed in some tortilla chips to soften in the sauce. Throw in the pork and the chopped up "scrambled" egg, flip and toss for a few seconds. At the last second, because Hubby asked "where's the cheese?", I chopped up a stick of string cheese, and added that, flipped and tossed some more.

End result? Little bits of crispy pork, some soft tortilla chips, some still crispy, gooey bits of cheese and egg throughout, all coated with a spicy sauce. Amazing. I love spur-of-the-moment 10pm snacks.

6 comments:

Betts said...

I'm guessing no pic because it wouldn't be the most photogenic of snacks. Sounds delish though? Where are you at 10pm when I'm hungry? I usually end up with peanut butter on graham crackers.

Vicki said...

Hi Betts - Not photogenic, but I couldn't even get the camera turned on before the vultures, er, family, ate it all!

Bob said...

That sounds so good! I could go for some right now, my 9pm snack of cold chicken fingers just didn't do it. :D

Vicki said...

Hi Bob - I'd invite you over, but the skillet was swooped on and devoured in about 15 seconds!

Kitt said...

Love a good skillet meal! That sounds awesome.

Vicki said...

Hey Kitt - Spur of the moment throw it in a skillet is my favorite :)