Monday, May 25, 2009

Celery Lavender Cocktail

A while back I had received a sample bag of lavender from Marx Foods. I had never cooked with lavender before - when I think of it, I think of soap, or those little sachets you put in your underwear drawer. But to cook with it? Hmm...

Perusing the interwebs, I came across this recipe for a celery lavender cocktail from Marc of [No Recipes]. If you haven't checked out Marc's site (or his other site focusing on individual ingredients), you really should. He's one of my favorite bloggers.

Anyhow, on to the cocktail: Celery? Lavender? In a drink? Why the heck not.





















Chop, blend, strain. Pour into a mixer with gin and ice. Shake. Pour.

This is seriously unique. You can smell the lavender, but you can't really taste it. It does leave a slightly (pleasant) floral aftertaste on your tongue, however. Mostly you get the green flavor of celery, tempered by the lemon juice and sugar. Not your typical cocktail. But something I'd definitely have again.

6 comments:

Desco said...

I'm surprised you can taste the floral essence on your tongue when it's swollen from the celery...

I use lavender buds in a dish that was named "orgasm berries" by a lady at an SCA event that loved them. Simmer a little lime juice, water, sugar, and lavender buds for a few minutes just to get everything all happy and their flavors blended, cool and sprinkle over fresh strawberries and toss. Serve cold. You don't NEED to simmer it to get the sugar to dissolve, but the lavender flavor/smell doesn't develop as much.

Vicki said...

Hey Desco - Celery actually doesn't bother me. Go figure. Thanks for the strawberry/lavender suggestion, need to find more ways to use up the little baggie I have.

Desco said...

Last week on the Food Network I saw that Chef Paul Prudhomme puts lavender in his beef rubs... Someone at an event once had lavender jelly, and I think I remember reading it makes an interesting ice cream.

Vicki said...

I actually have a lavender ice cream recipe bookmarked...

Betts said...

I love the color. I will have to try this since I'm all about the cocktails.

Lavender is an ingredient in herb de provence which is commonly used in French cooking.

Vicki said...

Hi Betts - I had no idea lavender was in herbes de Provence. But I don't do much (any) French cooking. Maybe I'll give it a shot.