Sunday, June 27, 2010

Fried Rice Vermicelli with Pickled Mustard Greens

I saw this recipe for Fried Bee Hoon over at The Malaysian Cuisine (make sure to check out Angie's other blog, seasaltwithfood), checked my pantry, and realized I could make this, stopping at the store only for bean sprouts.

I soaked my noodles for about 30 minutes, but they were still kind of chewy-strange. Perhaps they were old. Maybe I'll boil them next time. The recipe didn't state whether the choy sum was fresh or pickled, but I had a package of pickled mustard greens in the fridge, so I used that. I don't have chicken bouillon, so I used a little of the Better than Bouillon beef flavor I have in the freezer. And I replaced the shallot with onion, just because.


Aside from the chewy noodles (which did soften up more when thrown in with the veggies and sauce), this dish was perfect. I couldn't live without noodles, and throw in some crunchy veggies, and I'm even happier. You could definitely add some meat to this if you wanted. Quick, not a lot of heat involved in the preparation, good hot or slightly warm.

I'm submitting this dish to Presto Pasta Nights, this time hosted by Ruth at Once Upon a Feast

8 comments:

Angie said...

Thanks for trying out the recipe. I usually soak the rice vermicelli according to the manufacturer's instruction or about 20 minutes in warm water. I prefer the rice vermicelli from Thailand for stir-frying. Btw, I used fresh mustard green for the recipe. I bet pickled mustard green tasted just as good. I will be posting a recipe for fried rice with the pickled mustard green soon.

Vicki said...

Hi Angie -
Thanks for the inspiration! I liked the pickled greens, they added a good sour note in addition to the crunch :)

Ruth Daniels said...

I love how you switched things up for the recipe. An inspiration for all those new cooks out there who are afraid to take a leap of culinary faith. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Night. I couldn't do without noodles either ; - D

Vicki said...

Hi Ruth - Nothing ventured, nothing gained! Although not all my experiments turn out as good :)

Joanne said...

mmm I love vermicelli! What a great dish.

Vicki said...

Hi Joanne - Thanks!

Katerina said...

These pickled greens sound so good.

Vicki said...

Hi Katerina - I love pickled greens, they impart a nice sour bite to noodle and rice dishes.