Sunday, March 28, 2010

Pork Chops with Leeks in Mustard Sauce

As it usually goes, I asked Hubby what he wanted for dinner, and got no answer. So I looked through my ever-increasing list of bookmarked recipes, and decided on Pork Chops with Leeks in Mustard Sauce from Bon Appétit from May of 2009.

You start with cooking up a couple slices of bacon, and then searing the rosemary and thyme-seasoned pork chops in the residual bacon fat. I used the big ones that look like ribeyes rather than the rib chops, because that's what I could find.



Then you remove the chops from the skillet, and start sauteing your leeks.


When the leeks are soft, you throw in some garlic. Then brandy and broth. Plus the bacon and some sage. And then those beautiful chops are nestled among the leeks.



The recipe said 3 minutes per side to get to 140, but they must've used some wimpy chops, because these took about 20 minutes total.  You then remove the chops, boil off the liquid, and stir in sour cream and mustard. Serve the chops with the sauce on top or on the side. 



I put my chops back in the skillet to keep them warm because Hubby was running late. It's not very pretty, but one of the best pork dishes I've ever cooked. But with bacon, leeks and mustard, how could it go wrong?

13 comments:

Dennis K. said...

"..beautiful chops are nestled among the leeks."
Yum!

kat said...

It does sound delicious!

Vicki said...

Dennis - Yes, yum.

kat - Indeed.

Mom said...

What kind of mustard did you use?

Vicki said...

Mom - Dijon. Don't remember the brand, as I emptied the jar and recycled it. Probably Maille.

Bob said...

Did I hear "start with cooking up a couple slices of bacon"? :D

It sounds wicked good, I've recently been getting more into mustard. I'll have to put this in my own long list of bookmarks!

Vicki said...

Bob - It seems that in my kitchen, everything either starts with olive oil and garlic, or bacon. Happy kitchen :)

tasteofbeirut said...

I agree with you; you throw in the right ingrediens, keep an eye on them and you have got a wonderful dish!

Vicki said...

Hi taste - What was even better about this dish is that I didn't even have to keep an eye on it too closely! :)

caninecologne said...

hi there! this recipe makes me want to buy leeks!!!

i bought them once before then forgot they were in the fridge so they went bad. i should give it another go, this time with pork chops!

Vicki said...

Hi cc - Do! Leeks and pork are perfect together.

caninecologne said...

i definitely will!

i've been scared of leeks in the past (i'm lazy) - heard they were hard to clean. i better get over it, huh! :)

Vicki said...

Hey cc - Easy to clean, cut them in half lengthwise, then in half-moon slices, then wash :)