Monday, August 31, 2009

Progression is Lacking...

I'm seriously thinking of changing A Work in Progress to A Lack of Progress.

Tonight was the first time I've cooked anything since I can't even remember when. (Just checked the archives, eggplants and clams from over 10 days ago.)

Ironically, it was more eggplant - I made an eggplant/hummus hybrid, the idea taken from Cooking with Michele, the quantities all mine and not measured. Hubby (eggplant lover) didn't care for it - I think I didn't mash the garbanzo beans smooth enough. His mother (eggplant hater) loved it. Go figure. (Youngest didn't try it, no surprise there.)

To go with the Mediterranean fusion (aka not-so-pretty glop in a bowl), I made tzatziki and toasted some pita bread.

Not only is there a lack of progress on the cooking front, I'm having the same difficulties with my physical ailment, ie. 9 months of chronic pain in my leg that so far has been undiagnosed and untreatable. I think I've tried all the opiates out there, lidocaine, muscle relaxers, nerve blocks, acupuncture, Neurontin, Lyrica, Cymbalta, a TENS unit, nothing works. When I told my doctor that I was wearing a Fentanyl patch and had taken 2 Vicodin (still completely coherent, still totally in pain), his jaw just about hit the floor.

So it's off to the neurologist on Friday, for an EMG and nerve conduction study (ouch) in the morning and then a bone scan in the afternoon. I'm torn between hoping they find something (which will probably be un-fixable) and hoping they don't.

In the meantime, amputation is looking better and better. But then with my luck, I'd have phantom limb pain.

Oh, and I get to have a root canal tomorrow.

So, uh..., yeah...until further notice...A Lack of Progress.

6 comments:

Bob said...

Sorry to hear about your pain. I have back issues that give me sciatica, I can empathize. Don't stress the net, just work on feeling better!

Vicki said...

Hi Bob - I just hate that the pain is interfering with what I like to do. Thanks for the kind words :)

Thistlemoon said...

I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through. Have you thought of seeing an acupuncturist? Sometimes they can really help with the "unsolvable" cases. Regardless, I do hope you find some help.

As for eggplant and garbanzos...I love both! I think it would be almost impossible for me to not like a dish that features them!

Vicki said...

Hi Jenn - Yup, tried acupuncture, don't think it was working, but couldn't afford it anyway :(

I've just recently come around to eggplant, still don't care for garbanzos unless they're mashed up.

KirkK said...

Take it easy Vicki. I hope all that ails you is resolved soon....

Vicki said...

Hi Kirk - Thank you :)