Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Fried Frog Legs

Oh, stop that. They're not gross. Yes, they look a little funny. No, they don't taste like chicken. And they don't taste like fish. They taste like meat.


Please excuse the blurry spot on the left pair of legs. I found out after I took it that my lens had a smudge :)

I used this recipe from ChiliCheeseFries.net. The recipe calls for milk, but never says what to do with it, so I soaked the legs in it for about 30 minutes, before proceeding with the flour-egg wash-flour coating. Fry up in canola oil, et voila.

The legs were good, but the roasted garlic sauce that went with them? Oh. My. God. I'm glad I made the legs, but most likely won't do it again. The sauce, however - you braise garlic in a mix of beef and seafood stock, squish the soft garlic into the broth, add some lemon juice, blitz in a blender or processor. Bring back up to a simmer, and whisk in cold butter and a shot of cayenne. I'd eat styrofoam dipped in this sauce.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments:

doggybloggy said...

this is one of my all time absolute favorites going way back to when I would catch them in the wild as a kid - these look so plump too!

Vicki said...

Hey DB - They were much meatier than I expected. I'd have 'em again, but would prefer that someone else cooked them :)

Bob said...

I can't say I've ever seen frogs legs being sold in any of my stores, but I would definitely try them. The sauce sounds wicked good.

Vicki said...

Hey Bob - It took me a while to find them, finally did at an expensive specialty market. Funny thing is I saw them in the "normal" grocery store today for $8/lb. In the fish section. Try the sauce. Great on French fries.

Tuscan foodie in America said...

that sauce that you talk about sounds VERY interesting...

Vicki said...

Hey TFIA - Best. Sauce. Ever.

Ben said...

I've always wanted to try them. So it's not true that they taste like chicken, uh? I'll have to go frog hunting now. BTW, the pig tails and the stuffed zucchini flowers look amazing!

Vicki said...

Hey Ben! They were interesting, the meat was the consistency of fish (kind of) but the taste was neither chicken nor fish. Thanks for the compliments :)

Stella said...

Hey Vicki! I used to love frog legs when I was more of a carnivore (smile). I worked at a tapas bar when I was younger that had the most delicious frog legs on the menu-so good if you could get any weird emotional stuff out of the head about them. The garlic sauce sounds like it would be super good though-much more versatile (smile).
Glad to find you, Stella

Chef Dennis said...

wow..its been so long since I have seen Frog legs!! great job with these!

Vicki said...

Hi Stella - I briefly thought of Kermit, but then I made the legs dance a cabaret, and got over it :)

Hi Dennis - Thanks! Love your blog, thanks for visiting so I could find it :)

Joanne said...

I'm so impressed that you made these! I would love to try them, though I'm not quite sure where I would even find frog's leg.

Vicki said...

Hi Joanne - I'm on a mission to make things that most people would back away from :)