Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Post #83 - Ful Mudammas

I made (and ate) ful mudammas for the first time today. Click here for more information than you probably wanted. ;)

After my first bite (scooped into pita bread), I was actually walking towards the garbage disposal. But then I decided to give it another chance. Millions of people (it's practically the national dish of Egypt) eat this stuff every day for breakfast.

One pita and a half-bowl later, I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

1 can fava beans
olive oil
lemon juice
tomato, chopped
garlic, chopped
onion, chopped
cilantro, chopped
chilies, chopped (optional)
s&p
green onion

Drain and rinse your beans. I popped their outer skin off, but I'm not sure if it was necessary. Heat over low-ish heat, while sauteeing the onion, garlic and chilies separately. Stir sauteed stuff into beans, along with tomato, cilantro, s&p, lemon juice, and olive oil. Mash slightly. Garnish with green onion, and serve with pita bread.

No comments: