Monday, February 18, 2008

Post #90 - Turkey Wings

I picked up a couple turkey wings from Sprouts a while back. I chucked them in the freezer, and promptly forgot about them. They resurfaced when I was looking for my frozen roasted green chilies.

I had never cooked just the wings of a turkey before, so I went simple, using my roast chicken technique.











Dry the wings, rub with olive oil, sprinkle with paprika, garlic powder, Lawry's and pepper. Bake at 350 for about 1 1/2 hours, with a little liquid in the bottom of the pan (so drippings don't burn), and propped up on a rack (I used 2 biscuit cutters) if you like brown-crispy all around (I do). If the wing tips start burning, wrap them in foil, or just rip them off (not any meat on there, but I like the skin).

I served it with rice and spicy stir-fried choy. I read recently that there are over 20 varieties of choy, and given the selection at the market (99 Ranch Market on Claremont Mesa Blvd.), I believe it. I have no idea what variety mine was, but each plant was about a foot long, darker green stems than bok choy, and therefore a greener taste. Possibly gai choy?

















I'm going to have to start taking notes when I go there...

Anyhow, the turkey wings turned out beautifully - from now on, I'm only doing wings (and maybe legs) for Thanksgiving. Why waste so much time trying to figure out what to do with leftover breast/thigh meat that nobody wants to eat anyway?

No comments: