Monday, April 20, 2009

Cheese and Crackers, Grown-Up Style

Go out and buy yourself some of these Trader Joe's pita crackers.





















And some of this Spanish cheese.

















And some Peppadews. Don't know about Peppadews? Here's the wiki, and here's the US website. Normally I'd laugh at the idea of brand name produce, but these are really really good.

















And finally some smoked salt.






















Fill pepper with cheese, sprinkle with crushed smoked salt, place on cracker. Crunchy cracker, creamy tangy cheese, sweet and lightly spicy pepper, smoky salt. Truly amazing.

If you can't find Peppadews, I'm sure roasted red bells would work. Or just nix the pepper altogether. And the cracker's pretty much just a vehicle, you don't really need that either. I keep finding myself walking through the kitchen, scooping a knife-point of cheese (it's that soft), sprinkling with salt, and popping it in my mouth.

The only downside is how expensive the salt is, $12 for 7 oz at my market, but honestly, it's worth every penny. I've been drooling over the SaltWorks website for the last 10 minutes. Check out their amazing salts here.

Note: Even Hubby liked the smoked salt, and he's normally strictly a table salt kind of guy.

6 comments:

Bob said...

Oh wow, that looks wicked good. I'm going to have to check out smoked salt, I bet it would be great in a dry rub.

Vicki said...

Hey Bob - You're probably right. Then you wouldn't have to use the abomination that's called "liquid smoke" :)

Jude said...

Hmm haven't had tetilla in a while. Kinds interesting how it got its name :)

Vicki said...

Hi Jude -
This was my 1st time having it, love it. Don't know the story behind the name, but I can probably guess correctly :)

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Smoked salt sounds amazing... I have never seen that in the shops her ein UK...
Margot

Vicki said...

Hi Margot - It is amazing. If you can't find any, I found a place in Wales you can order from.