Thursday, April 9, 2009

Chocolate-Covered Caramelized Matzoh Crunch

Go out and buy yourself some matzoh crackers. Like, right now. This recipe from David Lebovitz (still one of my favorite people) is amazing.

















Yeah, there's boiling butter and sugar. But it's really not that scary. The baking part is easy, just make sure you set a timer, and check it from time to time, because you may have to lower the heat if it starts burning.

And the sea salt on top? Don't freak out about salt on dessert. There's something magical that happens when you have the crunchy salt on top of the buttery sugary chocolatey crackers.

Next time I make it, I might add some toasted coconut to the top, along with the almonds and sea salt. Or replace the almonds with hazelnuts. Or add some flavored extract to the butter/sugar mix. Lots of experimenting to do, and I'm sure it will all be delicious.

10 comments:

Bob said...

Oh wow does that look good! I love sweet and salty.

Vicki said...

Hey Bob - Me too, my dream is to make David Lebovitz's salted butter caramel ice cream, and mix in some of my bacon candy.

Betts said...

Sounds delish and looks so simple... my kind of thing. I've got to try it with hazelnuts.

Vicki said...

Hi Betts - Please try, and let me know what you think!

Jo said...

Delicious and so simple. A chocoholic's heaven.

Vicki said...

Hi Jo - Absolutely. It reminds me of a cross between a Heath bar and Almond Roca. Yum.

Sara said...

That looks so good, I would love to try it!

Vicki said...

Hi Sara - Please do, it's so easy, and incredibly delicious.

Jude said...

I'm all about rocks of salt on sweet things. Just had shortbread with salt on top and it was so good :)

Vicki said...

Hi Jude - This was the 1st time I had put salt on sweet, and I was instantly hooked!