Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Post #22 - Figs!

Ivonne over at Cream Puffs in Venice is hosting Sugar High Friday this time around, and the theme is figs! I've never participated in a blogging event of any kind before, but since I have two flourishing fig trees in my back yard, what better way to start?



















The fence is 6 feet high. That would put the larger tree at about 15 feet. There's so much fruit that some of the branches almost touch the ground.















One way of using up all the luscious plump figs literally at my doorstep is to stew and simmer them into submission, giving them a kick with some ginger and/or cinnamon, and some crunch with sesame seeds.

Recipe for Fig and Sesame Seed Jam:
3/4 c sugar
3/4 c water
2 lb firm fresh figs, stem end trimmed, chopped smallish
zest of about 1 lemon
2 T lemon juice
sesame seeds, about 1/4 cup, maybe less
1/2 t ginger
1/2 t cinnamon

Simmer the sugar and water in a saucepan until the sugar is dissolved.

Stir in the figs, zest, juice and spices. Simmer uncovered, about 2 hours (maybe less), until syrupy.

Stir in sesame seeds.

My favorite way to serve - on a cracker with some goat cheese and prosciutto. Not a dessert, you say? Sweet end to a meal, I'd say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How jealous am I?! I wish I could have such beautiful trees in my yard!

Thanks so much for sharing this lovely jam with us.

And thanks for taking part in SHF #35!