Sunday, December 12, 2010

Lamb Ragu

With the weather being cold and nasty (well, for southern CA, anyway), I wanted something meaty and hearty. I came across this recipe for Lamb Ragu from the kitchn, and knew it was exactly what I was looking for. I also knew that my slow cooker would be perfect for the job.

I'm still wary of my slow cooker. I don't want to plug it in and and leave it on while nobody's home. I know, I know, thousands of people do it all the time. Maybe I'll get to that point eventually. But since I'm not there yet, I let the ragu cook overnight, then put in in the refrigerator in the morning. Reheated for dinner, it was amazing.

I altered the recipe only slightly, using dried herbs instead of fresh. The lamb was perfectly tender - I didn't need two forks to shred the chunks, just one smoosh and it fell apart. Acid from the tomatoes, sweetness from the carrots - everything blended together nicely. You could serve the ragu over polenta, potatoes, rice, whatever. I served it over this pasta because it reminded me of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man (and it was also the perfect shape, almost like a Scoop chip, to hold the ragu).

My slow cooker may win me over yet...

4 comments:

Dennis K. said...

Looks good! Nice and meaty! :)

Vicki said...

Hey Dennis - It was perfect. Filling and hearty.

caninecologne said...

hi vicki - the slow cooker can be your best friend. just throw all that $#^T in there in the morning, go to work and when you come home, dinner is served!!!

i did 2 slow cooker meals last week - beef pot roast and bbq baby back ribs (used a jarred sauce a friend gave me from texas, and also threw in some dried apricots for sweetness). both came out pretty good.

Vicki said...

Hey CC - I just can't see leaving something plugged in and hot on my countertop while the house is empty. But overnight cooking seems to work :)