Monday, August 29, 2011

Steak and Vegetable Kabobs

Summer and grilling. They're like Joanie and Chachi. Or not. But you know what I mean.

I was lucky enough to find some Hatch chiles at the new Whole Foods nearby, and decided on chile hummus. It's absolutely delicious, very spicy, but completely non-photogenic, at least not by me. So pop on over to Taste of Beirut, where you can get the recipe.

I asked my husband what he wanted with the hummus and pita (which was actually Trader Joe's naan, but whatever). He said steak. I said veggies. He said steak. So, I compromised.

I marinated the beef (NY strip, cut into chunks) in a mix of olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper and a bay leaf. The meat went onto skewers along with bell peppers, onions and mushrooms, then got thrown on the grill until the veggies were charred. During grilling, I drizzled some olive oil, salt & pepper on the kabobs. (Be careful, olive oil is really smoky. Cough.)

Amazingly, some of the beef was still pink in the middle (yay!). Next time I'd used a slightly fattier cut of meat, and also bigger chunks, so that the veggies can be completely charred without overcooking the beef.


No comments: