Monday, October 25, 2010

Clam Chowder

Due to the crappy rainy weather we've been having lately, I had a craving for soup. I thought about going out and picking up some pho, or maybe menudo, but then my husband said he'd make clam chowder. Score!

He finely chopped celery and onion, diced potatoes, and sauteed the mix in some olive oil. While the veggies were cooking, he made a roux, then added heavy cream, broke up the lumps, then added 1% milk. In went the veggies to cook for a while, then he added a few cans of chopped clams (rinsed!), the strained liquid from the clams, and an additional bottle of strained clam juice.

He simmered the soup slowly, stirring frequently. (Creamy soups have a tendency to stick to the bottom of the pot.) Pretty soon the soup thickened nicely from the combination of the potatoes and the flour in the roux. Salt and pepper to taste, and serve with crusty bread.

6 comments:

caninecologne said...

Very nice! I wish my husband would do that for me!

Vicki said...

Hey CC - I was pleasantly surprised :)

Denise Michaels - Adventurous Foodie said...

Soup, soup, soup - so good lately. My husband won't cook me soup - but he'll certainly eat soup I make. He'll make tea and Chicken Curry for me.

Vicki said...

Hi Denise! I've been on a soup kick lately, it's a good thing my husband contributed. Now if I could just get him to make curry...

caninecologne said...

i made vegetable soup today but it was mainly to get rid of the vegetables in the fridge before they went bad! the husband and child liked it though!

Vicki said...

CC - Double score. No waste, family likes it. Love it when that happens.