Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sab-E-Lee Restaurant

After reading Kirk's and Kirbie's accounts of their visits to the best Thai/Lao restaurant in San Diego, I finally made it to Sab-E-Lee. And I'm kicking myself for not having gone sooner. I want to go again. Tomorrow. It's that good. (Even my husband loved it. And he purportedly "hates" Thai food.)

So here's what the outside looks like.

Inside is very tiny, only 6 tables. But that's good, because the rest of the space is devoted to their kitchen and the wonderful things that come out of it.

We started with the Papaya Salad, or Som Tam. Shredded green papaya, tomatoes and tiny green beans, dressed with pounded peanuts, dried shrimp, and lime juice, fish sauce, something sweet (maybe palm sugar) and chiles. This was amazing.

My husband had the BBQ Pork Neck, or Kaw Moo Yaang (thanks, Leela!). Extremely tender pork, served with a small bowl of a spicy dressing/sauce for dipping. We both loved it.

I had the Duck Larb (Larb Ped). Strips of grilled duck with the skin still on, with red onions, roasted rice powder and chiles. Spicy, tart, ducky, earthy. Delicious.

We're most definitely going back. There are so many other things on the menu that we have to try - Beef & Tendon Stew, Nahm Tok, Spicy Raw Beef, Thai Sausage...yes, I must really get back there soon.

Sab-E-Lee
2405 Ulric St.
San Diego, CA 92111
858-650-6868

11 comments:

Chester said...

Thanks Vic, This was amazing Thai food! I look forward to trying the Thai fried chicken next time....

Vicki said...

Yup, and the bamboo shoot salad, and the pote-ak, and the squid salad...

Dennis K. said...

Argh, I still haven't been to this location. Been to the second location in Santee several times. I really like the duck larb there. Thanks for the reminder!

Vicki said...

Hi Dennis - I need to get to the 2nd location to compare the two. I'm sure I'll be happy with both!

kirbie said...

Great to see you enjoyed this spot too! I haven't been back since the ownership change, but I need to go back soon!

Vicki said...

Hey Kirbie - I had no idea ownership had changed. Whoever owns it, it's still the best Thai restaurant I've ever been to.

KirkK said...

Hey Vicki - Yes, Kobe sold the place to the folks who were already working there. I'm glad you got to try Sab E Lee, it's one of our regular stops!

Vicki said...

Hi Kirk - It's going to become one of my regular stops too!

caninecologne said...

hi vicki- if you haven't tried it yet, check out the newer sab e lee in santee, on mission gorge rd.kobey sold the other place and is now at the santee location full time.

caninecologne said...

oh yeah, my favorite is #48, the issan sausage. love it!!!!!

Vicki said...

Hey CC - Sab-E-Lee 2 is definitely on my list!