Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Post #52 - Post-Christmas Leftovers

Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

Our dinner consisted of tamales (from Tamales Ancira in Escondido), chili verde, and adobo.

Which brings up a question - do you put tomato sauce in your adobo? My husband's great-grandfather was Filipino, and put tomato sauce in his. But every recipe I've seen online (save one) is tomato-sauce-less. I'm thinking it's a Mexican influence, since the other part of my husband's family is Mexican. Then there's the names - adobado is Mexican, adobo is Filipino. Anyone have any ideas?

2 comments:

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

That sounds like a dreamy holiday menu -- I wish I could get my family to go the spicy route for the holidays. I don't have a lot of experience with adobo -- recently I've tried the Filipino version, which has vinegar but no tomato, and I've been making a chicken adobo like that in my slow cooker. But chipotles in adobo, in a tomato-based sauce, are wonderful too.

Vicki said...

I think that since we have so many ethnicities represented in my household (Czech, Italian, Polish, Mexican, Filipino, British, Irish and French (and probably some German, just for kicks)), I'm going to call the dish "Fusion Adobo".