Sunday, December 2, 2007

Post #42 - Turkey Pot Pie

Yes, we're all sick of leftover turkey. But since I'm cleaning out my freezer, and found a cooked turkey breast, I figured, why not make a pot pie?














Turkey Pot Pie:
(Recipe based on what I had and 2 recipes I found that look remarkably similar.)

3-4 c cooked turkey, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 red potatoes, cubed
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 c peas
3 cups turkey broth
3 T flour
3 T butter/oil

Melt the butter over medium heat, and saute the onions for ~10 minutes. Add the garlic, saute for 30 seconds. Add the flour, and cook, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes. Slowly add in the broth, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, and simmer 15 minutes until nicely thickened.

Add the potatoes, carrot and celery. Bring back to a boil, lower to a simmer, and simmer 25-30 minutes. Stir in the turkey and peas.

Divide the mixture into ramekins / pot pie thingies. Top with biscuit dough. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes, or until the biscuits are done and the filling is hot.

Biscuit dough (stolen / adapted from Wandering Chopsticks):
2 c flour
1 t sugar
1 T baking powder
large pinch of salt
handful of chopped cilantro
1/2 c chilled butter, cubed
3/4 c buttermilk

Mix the dry ingredients. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Mix in the buttermilk. I can never mix biscuit dough with anything but my hands - but mix just until it comes together, otherwise the butter starts melting and you'll get tough biscuits.

4 comments:

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Looks great! How'd you like the biscuit recipe? I still have to do something with my turkey carcass. :P

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I love pot pie, and I'm so happy you included the biscuit recipe--so many always just say "Bisquik" which would be *almost* fine if only I could buy it in Italy ;)

Looks great!

test it comm said...

Turkey pot pie sounds like a good use of turkey leftovers!

Vicki said...

The biscuit topping was great, and the whole pot-pie experience made me forget I was eating turkey (again!).