Thursday, March 6, 2008

Chicago Time-Out

To all 3 of my subscribers: I'm in Chicago for a while visiting family. So, most likely, no posts for a while. And, unfortunately, with my continued lack of a camera, no photo roundup of Chicago eats when I get back.

Speaking of photos, go to Bill Slater's site, and take a gander at "Cloud Gate", aka "The Bean", in Millennium Park in Chicago. I love The Bean in all of its hideously tacky glory.

Back to the important stuff, we went to Portillo's tonight, and I ordered what is quite possibly my favorite sandwich in the world, Italian Beef, hot, dipped (that's dipped in au jus and sprinkled with a pickled mix of hot peppers, celery and carrot). This is the first thing I eat every time I visit "home". They ship to anywhere in the country, but it works out to $8.25 per sandwich after shipping (and putting it together yourself). Better to let absence make the heart grow fonder, and spend $4.59 once every year or 2, and let the experts make it for you.

A side note, Portillo's has a Buena Park CA location, and a new one set to open in Moreno Valley in a few days. I haven't been to the Buena Park location, but if you go to the website, you'll see slight differences in the "California menu", most notably a prominent salad section, and higher prices. My $4.59 sandwich in Chicago is $5.15 in CA. I hope that's because they import Gonella bread from Chicago. Don't get me wrong, you can get some darn good bread in CA, but nothing close to what's required for Italian Beef.

No comments: