Thursday, March 13, 2008

My 2nd Chunky of 2008

I committed myself to reading 4 chunky books this year (chunky being defined as at least 450 pages) by signing up for the Chunkster Challenge, hosted by Dana.

My second chunky of the year (see here for the first) is Duma Key by Stephen King.

Duma Key is similar to King's other works since his accident in regards to writing style - I'm not sure how to describe it, but post-accident is definitely different from pre-accident. One thing that Duma Key has in common with earlier works, however, is that it takes a looooong time to get going. Remember Insomnia? The first half of the book was a cure for it.

Like all King books, I read it fast, and retained little of it. I think that's more my fault than King's. (Ask me where Edgar says "If they didn't take any of my pictures with them ,they'll be fine", and I can tell you it's about 3/4 of the way through, left-hand side, bottom 3rd of the page. But ask me how the book ends, I can't tell you.) But I enjoyed every second spent reading it. King once again achieved that perfect balance of reality and supernatural, where you start believing that it could actually happen. Until you wake up in the morning with a book-corner-depression on your cheek because you fell asleep reading.

No comments: