Tuesday, June 2, 2009

What to do with a monster cabbage? (Part 2)

For the second half of my monster cabbage (see here for part 1), I decided to make pagach, an Eastern European bread, stuffed with either cabbage or potatoes.

















I followed this recipe for pagach from Dog Hill Kitchen, using minced instead of granulated garlic. I didn't prick the top of the bread with a fork before baking ('cause I forgot). And I sprinkled with some sea salt, because I love a salty crunch on my bread. Pretty minor deviations, I'd say.

















The recipe makes 2 large flatbreads. The pics you're seeing are the first one, which I rolled out very thin before filling. It's an understatement to say it was difficult to lay the top half of the dough on top of the filling! I ended up with some very thin spots, which I covered with trimmings from the sides. You can't really tell, because the whole thing was flipped from the bread board upside-down onto the baking sheet. But still, I know the patches are there, and it bothers me slightly.

For the 2nd one, I actually followed the directions (!) and rolled it thicker, then pressed and squeezed it thinner after its 30 minute rest. The 2nd one (sorry, no pictures) certainly looked prettier (rounder, more even shape), and was easier to make. See what happens when you follow directions?

No comments: