Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Lamb Rogan Josh

An employee of mine once told me that I cook lamb more than anybody else he knows. Why not cook lamb? It tastes way better than beef, in my opinion. And you've got all the cool cuts - rack, shanks, chops, neck.

I've been craving stewy braisy things lately, which kind of sucks, since it's in the 90s, and doesn't start cooling down until at least 7pm, if at all. But, screw it, I said, and made Lamb Rogan Josh, from Vikram Sunderam, via Food & Wine.

This is probably the first time I've made an Indian dish that I was happy with. Not just "hmm, it's ok", but completely happy with. Tender lamb, tangy spicy sauce. Good over rice. And pasta. And then use the leftover sauce to dip tortilla chips into.

I'd love to show you a picture, but...I'd hate to show you a picture. I don't even want to try to describe what my pictures looked like.

Just trust me. This recipe rocks.

So, no photo of lamb rogan josh, but here's an egg I cooked for the animals.
















Picture me (I'd be interested to know how some of you picture me!), sitting on the floor, surrounded by a yellow tabby,
















a tan chihuahua,
















and a brown lab/chow mix,
















all vulturing for a piece of egg. And I better feed them in the correct sequence (big dog, little dog, cat), otherwise they'll get upset. Just when the kids are almost "all grown up", I realize I have 3 more that never will.

8 comments:

Bob said...

Ok, that just awesome that you make eggs for your pets and then feed them in a set order. I love it. :D

I've never been a fan of Indian food, I find it too... seasoned. I don't mind spicy, there's just too much seasoning in it for me. But I've never had an Indian lamb dish either, that's a flavor that can stand up to some serious seasoning. I'll have to try it sometime.

Vicki said...

Hey Bob - The things we do for our pets :) This dish could be pretty tame if you use a really mild curry powder...

Anonymous said...

Lamb Rogan josh is my favorite, will check out the recipe!

Vicki said...

Hey 5SF - Please do, you won't be disappointed!

Desco said...

Oooo I gotta try this! (Damn my vegetarian girlfriend!) aww now I'm hungry and sitting at work :(

I just realized I've got a Penzy's 10 minutes from my house and I've never been there.

Vicki said...

Hey Desco - Play hooky from work and go to Penzey's. You're so lucky, closest one to me is 100 miles away.

Heather Jefferies said...

Small, dark blond, mid-forties.

Vicki said...

Hey Alecto - Interesting.