Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Seared Lamb Loin Chops

Mary might have had a little lamb with snowy white fleece, but I think I was luckier, in that I had some beautiful thick lamb loin chops. These babies were serious, 1 1/2" thick!
















I could've done something complicated, like marinating, or a sauce with mint or parsley, but I just wanted to taste the lamb. So I coated the chops with olive oil, and seasoned simply with salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder.

I heated up my cast iron skillet until it was smoking (be careful, the handle gets hot!), and seared the chops for 5 minutes on each side, for a perfect pinkness in the middle (my camera's wonky, they were pinker than the picture!). For Hubby & Youngest, I cooked them for a minute more on each side, because they like their protein a little more cooked than I do.















After searing, I made a quick sauce from the happy charry bits in the skillet, some beef broth and red wine, reduced it down, and added a bit of butter, because you can never go wrong with butter.

Mmm...lamb chops.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Where did you pick those up? Nice! No dinner tonight, so you deliver, right? ;)

Vicki said...

Hey Kelly - MIL got them @ Costco. I'd be happy to share, if there was any left!

Betts said...

You've got my mouth watering. Loin lamb chops are my FAV meat. Too bad they're so expensive... $14.99/lb. last time I checked.

Vicki said...

Hey Betts - MIL got these for $8.99/lb, I couldn't believe it!

Bob said...

Oh man, I want those so bad! My girlfriend won't touch lamb, so I almost never get to have it. Those looks so good.

Vicki said...

Hi Bob - My Youngest wouldn't eat lamb, until I got the chops that look like pork, and fried 'em up like pork chops. She ate a whole one before I told her it was lamb. She never refused lamb again.

Lo said...

I can't argue with a nice lamb chop -- and if they're good enough to eat without embellishments, that's even better. What a steal at $8.99/lb. Nice catch!

Vicki said...

Hi Lo - I can't believe the quality I got for such a low price, leave it to my MIL to find a good deal!

Melissa said...

That is a great deal!

After making it about 10 times, I gave up eating lamb this summer. For some reason, I got all gaggy with it. But I am determined to give it another shot, partly because that's just my nature and partly because hub loves it so much.

Your chops look purty. :)

Vicki said...

Hey Melissa - Sometimes lamb can be a bit strong, which could explain the gagginess. Have you tried long slow cooking? It might reduce the gaminess :)