Sunday, January 11, 2009

Corned Beef Hash

I like corned beef and cabbage, but what I really like is the corned beef hash you get to make the next day. Lots of work for a plate of hash, but sometimes you just have to do it.
















Obtain your corned brisket. Don't get one with a spice packet, get one that's vacuum sealed with the spices pressed into the meat. Cover with water, and simmer for at least 3 hours.

Appetizing, isn't it?
















This next pic isn't any more delicious-looking, huh?
















Let the brisket cool, then slice against the grain. While the meat's cooling, throw some quartered red potatoes into the water and boil until tender. Remove the potatoes, then add chopped carrot, celery and onion, and boil until tender. Remove those, then add cabbage wedges, and boil to your desired doneness.
















No, there's no cabbage in the picture. 'Cause I forgot about it until I walked by the cutting board and saw the wedges. Doh!

Anyway, on to the hash. Next day, chop up a little of everything into bite-size pieces. Heat a skillet, spray with a little cooking spray (you could use butter or oil), and fry until you start getting crusty bits.

Top with an over-easy egg and some hot sauce.
















Is it worth 4 hours of active cooking and an overnight rest just for a plate of this? Yes, definitely.

6 comments:

Bob said...

I couldn't agree more. I love corned beef hash. I've never put hot sauce on it though. I definitely will next time. ;)

Vicki said...

Hi Bob - Anything spicy will do, you could also use hot mustard, horseradish, or chop up some pickled sport peppers.

Anonymous said...

We love corned beef & cabbage, and I can guarantee this would go over very well here. Total comfort food. Wondering why I never think of making it any time except for around St. Patrick's Day.

Vicki said...

Hi Kellypea!
Guess it's just one of those things, like turkey only on Thxgiving. I think next week I'm going to roast a goose, why wait for Christmas?

kat said...

That's a little piece of heave to my mom

Vicki said...

Hi Kat - Heaven, topped with a fried egg! That's like heaven-squared :-)