Monday, January 26, 2009

Corn and Black Pepper Crackers

If you saw my last post on bacon candy, you'll understand why I had to make these crackers. Sweet bacon reminds me of baked beans, and baked beans remind me of cornbread. I didn't want to make cornbread, but I had this recipe from the NY Times bookmarked for Corn and Black Pepper Crackers. And the rest is history.
















I mixed up the batter as per the directions, and the resulting "batter" was very thin. I didn't think there was any way I could bake spoonfuls (sorry, spoonsful) of this without them all running together. So I added two more tablespoons each of flour and cornmeal to thicken it up a bit.



















They were nicely corny, nicely peppery, but I think slightly too spongy, which was probably from my meddling with the recipe. Whatever, they still tasted good. And if you have some left over, they'll get soft, but all you have to do is re-crisp them in the oven. Try them, you won't be disappointed. Especially if you have them with bacon candy.

3 comments:

Bob said...

Mmmm, those sound good.

Thistlemoon said...

Wow, those look fantastic!

Vicki said...

Hi Bob & Jenn - Thanks!