Sunday, June 5, 2011

Lamb Tongue Tacos

If you've been reading my blog for any length of time, you know I have this, um, problem, with buying random "off cuts" of meat, and then figuring out how to cook it. This time it was lambs' tongues.

I braised them with bay leaf, garlic, onion and peppercorns until tender. Then I peeled them. This was definitely on my top ten list of weird things I've done in the kitchen that I don't want to do again. Then chop, mix with chile sauce, and make a taco.

My favorite? No. But I'm glad I tried it.

9 comments:

Kitt said...

I'm glad you did it so I don't have to.

I read an account recently of someone who cooked a whole cow head for tacos. Or maybe it was a video. Anyhoo, it was pretty gnarly.

caninecologne said...

ooh,just add soy sauce and vinegar to the rest of your ingredients and you've got lamb tongue adobo!

caninecologne said...

@kitt - tacos de cabeza are from the cow's head. and they're good too! :) kinda fatty.

Kitt said...

Oh yeah. It was a video: http://foodtease.com/2009/09/cow-head-barbacoa/. (Warning, the first photo you see on that page is a skinned cow's head, so if you're squeamish, don't click.)

Vicki said...

CC - I love adobo! Need to make it more often.

Hi Kitt! I plan on doing a lamb head soon. Looking forward to it and squeamish at the same time :)

Dennis K. said...

Wow, I have beef lengua tacos all the time but never had lamb tongue. Does it taste a bit gamey like the meat?

Vicki said...

Hey Dennis - It's like beef tongue in texture, but the flavor is definitely gamey/lamby. Not for everyone.

KirkK said...

Hi Vicki - How can someone not like lamb tongue??? ;o)

Vicki said...

Hey Kirk - I think my dislike was more from the sauce I used than from the tongue itself. Perhaps I'll try again.