Friday, February 6, 2009

Sautéed Dandelion Greens

Dandelion greens are my favorite sautéing green, aside from broccoli rabe (rapini). They're a little bitter, but they pair perfectly with rich dishes (like mac & cheese!).

For a side dish for four people:
2 bunches dandelion greens, bottom 3" trimmed
4 cloves garlic, minced
red pepper flakes
olive oil
parmesan, grated (optional)

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt, then the greens. (I read once that adding salt before the water boils can cause pitting on the bottom of the pot.) Return to a boil, and cook for 1-2 minutes. Drain and shock with cold water to stop cooking. Squeeze out excess water.

Heat olive oil in a skillet. Gently sauté the garlic. Add in the greens, some red pepper flakes, and some salt. Toss around until it's all warm. Top with grated parmesan if desired.

Stumble Upon Toolbar


Bob said...

Heh, when I was a kid I always thought my parents were joking when they said they liked dandelion greens. I mean, they spent so much time killing the plants in the yard! :)

Vicki said...

Hi Bob - To my knowledge, my parents never have (and never would) eat dandelions. I've got a mind to make tempura-battered dandelion flowers next time I see them :)

Betts said...

Where the heck did you buy dandelion greens in the middle of winter? I sure would like to see a dandelion about now.

Vicki said...

You forget, dear Betts, that I live in the land of no winter :) Sometimes it has its advantages.

SuburbanCorrespondent said...

Sounds yummy - I'll have to try it!

Vicki said...

Hey SC - Please do!