Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Cream of Mushroom Soup

I picked up some gorgeous king oyster mushrooms at Mitsuwa the other day - they sat in my fridge while I pondered what to do with them. I had already breaded and fried, and had also sauteed and sprinkled with smoked salt. Hmm, what to do? I looked outside at the rain, and - bingo - soup.

This recipe is almost exactly like my husband's clam chowder, just substituting mushrooms for clams, and chicken broth for clam juice. Chop the shrooms finely, along with some onion and a little bit of celery. Sauté until the onion is translucent and the mushrooms lose most of their liquid. In the meantime, make a roux, then stir in some heavy cream, then some milk and chicken stock. Dump in the mushroom mixture, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for a while. (Don't forget to stir!) To serve, dust with paprika, sprinkle with parsley (or both), and don't forget the crusty bread.

8 comments:

Stash said...

for some thanksgiving special posts im considering doing french bean casserole from scratch. to do so properly, i have to be able to make this!

Unknown said...

that sounds so good! I love mushrooms but have never had king oyster mushrooms. Guess what I'll be picking up next time I see them at the farmers market :)

Vicki said...

Hey Stash - Do it! Scratch is so much better than that canned stuff.

Hi Danielle - King oysters are awesome. Do try them if you find them!

caninecologne said...

Man, that soup looks so good!

I just made smoky corn chowder (recipe online from real simple). it's easy and it has bacon and bacon fat as an ingredient.

even though it's so damn hot right now, i still want to eat my soup!

Vicki said...

Hey CC - You had me at bacon. I could use some of that right now, it's cold and raining in Chicago!

erica said...

It's snowing here.. not sticking but snowing none the less. So some mushroom soup sounds divine! I am a new follower!

xo

Denise Michaels - Adventurous Foodie said...

Chances are we could probably make this soup with different variety of mushrooms.

When I was 13 I ended up in intensive care in the hospital after a surgery that had some complications. The first thing they tried to feed me was mushroom soup. It was probably canned - y'know, hospital food.

That experience kept me away from mushroom soup for 30 years. Then I discovered how amazingly good mushroom soup really can be when it's done right like this recipe. It's a joy to behold.

Vicki said...

Hey FMF - Thanks for visiting! Hope you enjoyed your stay here :)

Hi Denise - I grew up hating mushrooms, but have recently come around. This recipe will work with almost any fresh mushroom, I'd think.