Sunday, November 14, 2010

Bacon Fried Rice

Who could ever get sick of fried rice? Not me. It's so versatile - you can make it a clean-out-the-fridge meal, or add specific ingredients (like shrimp and pineapple). This, my friends, is of the clean out the fridge persuasion.

I though about using Spam, given some online conversations I've been having, but I saw the package of thick cut bacon in the freezer, and decided to go with that. Here's my mis en place: clockwise from top left, carrot, red onion, chiles de arbol, ginger, garlic, jalapeƱo, cilantro, bacon, and scrambled egg. Not pictured is the rice and the peas I added at the end.

Normally I use canola or peanut oil to fry the rice, but looking at the bacon fat left over in the skillet, I thought, Why not?

Husband said this was one of the best versions of fried rice, not only that I've ever made, but that he's ever had. Score.

4 comments:

caninecologne said...

hi vicki - your rice looks great! anything with bacon, actually!

i have leftover bacon fat from my smoky corn chowder recipe sitting in the fridge just waiting to be used. so, fried rice with sliced hot dogs (we ran out of spam) is just the ticket for tomorrow's lunch!

Vicki said...

Hey CC - Do it! Hubby just showed me how to make hot dogs taste like longanisa - add lots of black pepper, a little mustard, and a little cider vinegar. Fry 'em up and mix into fried rice. Delicious!

caninecologne said...

hi vicki - i DID and that $#!^ was so good!

i'll have to do that hot dog to longanisa converter trick next time! mmmm

Vicki said...

CC - The "converter trick" works with Spam as well, but you have to use a really high heat to crisp it. Yum.