Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream

David Lebovitz is my new favorite person. This coffee ice cream from The Perfect Scoop was super-simple and absolutely delicious.















Brew coffee with 1/2 cup of grounds and 1 1/2 cups of water. This should yield about a cup. Whisk the coffee together with a can (~400g) of sweetened condensed milk, and 1/3 cup of whole milk. I used skim milk mixed with half & half, because that's what I had. Chill thoroughly in the freezer, then chuck it in your ice cream maker. While it's churning, add a large pinch of coffee grounds. When done, scoop into containers and freeze. It won't freeze as hard as regular ice cream, and it melts really fast. I think it's because of the sweetened condensed milk, but I'm a chemist, not a food scientist, so what do I know?

Make this. You'll love it. Unless you don't like coffee, in which case, I can't help you.

7 comments:

Alexa said...

I made that one with my kids a couple weeks ago and we all went nuts on it. It was so simple to make. I love recipes like that.

Vicki said...

Hey Alexa -
Isn't it great? Ice cream without even turning on the stove for the egg-custard thing!

Brilynn said...

I'm also loving David Lebovitz lately. The Perfect Scoop is such a great book!

Vicki said...

Hi Brilynn -
I definitely need to get that book, especially after seeing your post that included fig ice cream - it'll help me use up all my figs!

Anonymous said...

Looking good! I love coffee ice cream! Great pic!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, David Lebovitz is a great guy. I can no longer even count how many of his recipes I've made. Vietnamese coffee is such a treat, I imagine this ice cream would be fantastic. I guess I know what's next on my list of ice creams to make...

Vicki said...

Hi Hanne -
I loved this recipe because it was so easy (i.e. custardless). I really need to get The Perfect Scoop, there must be so many great recipes I'm missing out on!