Monday, October 6, 2008

Flaming Spinach Salad

from Celebrity All-Occasion Cooking...
Flaming Spinach Salad

4 c spinach torn into bite-size pieces
1/4 c sliced celery
4 T sliced green onions
4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces
2 T vinegar
2 T packed brown sugar
1/4 t salt
1/8 t tarragon leaves
pinch of pepper
2 T brandy

Place spinach, celery and onions in serving dish. Fry bacon until crisp, drain on paper towel and reserve. Remove all but 1 T bacon fat from skillet. Stir brown sugar, vinegar, salt, tarragon and pepper into fat in skillet. Heat just to boiling, stir in bacon. Heat until bacon is hot, pour on spinach, celery and onions.

Heat brandy just until warm, ignite and pour on salad. Toss and serve immediately.
I'm all for a warm bacon dressing on spinach...but lighting it on fire? WTF?

5 comments:

kat said...

crazy

Betts said...

My husband would love this. He loves anything flaming. Me... not so much since I had a hair singeing incident.

Vicki said...

Kat - Yup.

Betts - Eek, I never even thought of that! Definitely not on my to-try list.

Heather Jefferies said...

I might have to try it. I'm tempted just by the absurdity (imo anyway) of lighting spinach on fire! I'll do my best to keep my hair out of the mix.

Vicki said...

Hi Alecto -
If you try it, I want pictures :-)