Friday, December 12, 2008

Uncle Tony's Italian Cuisine

If you're looking for good Italian food and a great atmosphere, look no farther than Uncle Tony's Italian Cuisine in Vista CA.

Meet Tony. Doesn't he look like a fun guy?




















First off, there's pizza. I'm not talking Round Table, Papa John's, etc. This is everything pizza should be, and nothing it shouldn't - thin crust, not too heavy on the toppings, baked perfectly. Our favorite is the margherita, but we've also had the Uncle Tony's Specialty (spinach with garlic, olive oil, ricotta and mozzarella), the Meat Lovers (pepperoni, sausage, cappicola, salami and meatballs) and the Greek Pizza (feta cheese, olive oil, garlic and basil), with no complaints (just full bellies!).















Moving on to appetizers, these guys have the best fried calamari I've ever had anywhere. You know how sometimes you get calamari and it's like chewing on rubber bands? Complete opposite here - these practically melt in your mouth. Nice light breading, and marinara sauce to dip them in - I could have these for dinner. The garlic bread, cheesy breadsticks, and jalapeño poppers are tasty too.















For sandwiches, they have all the usual suspects: Chicken Parmigiana, Meatball with Cheese, Pastrami, etc. They also have choices like Gourmet Cajun Chicken, Pizza Sub, and Chicken Cheese Steak. My favorite? The Eggplant Parmigiana - garlicky, toasty, cheesy, happy.

Of course they have pastas - all shapes and sizes, every variety of meat and sauce. Everything I've seen coming out of the kitchen looks delicious. Get a gander at the veal parmigiana on spaghetti -















To wash it down, they have 10 beers on tap, and a good wine list, along with the non-alcoholic beverages.


































And don't forget dessert - order a cannoli.
















Uncle Tony's Italian Cuisine
770 Sycamore Ave., #H
Vista, CA 92083
760-598-6669

13 comments:

Bob said...

You're cruel. I live on the other side of the country! ;)

Vicki said...

Hi Bob - Sorry 'bout that ;-) But there's great Italian in Boston, too, no?

RecipeGirl said...

I'm going to have to remember this place when we're up visiting the inlaws. If they have calamari and cannoli, I'm in!

Vicki said...

Hi RecipeGirl - Best calamari ever, and best cannoli I've had since leaving Chicago. It's worth the trip to North County.

Anonymous said...

This place looks like it has all of my favorites: Margherita pizza (though Uncle Tony's Specialty looks great too), calamari, nice beer & wine list, & canolis. Forget the chains at CA Restaurant Row & Los Posas, I'll drive down a few more exits. :P

Vicki said...

Hi nicmcc - This place puts all those to shame, definitely worth the drive.

Betts said...

Does he deliver? Probably not to Vermont though? Maybe he could just come here and cook for me.

Darius T. Williams said...

This looks great - lol...I'd love to go to a place like this!

Vicki said...

Hi Betts & Darius - He does deliver, but probably not as far away as you 2! If you ever make it to San Diego, let me know, I'll take you there ;-)

Anonymous said...

The veal parm looks fantastic. Wish this restaurant was nearby.

Vicki said...

Hi Jude - I usually don't eat veal (poor baby cows), but for Tony's, I make an exception.

jess said...

this is a pretty awesome blog! you should definitely submit your photos to www.donteatthatyet.com. it's a visual restaurant review site with a template similar to that of tastespotting.

Vicki said...

Hi Jess - One more site for me to be addicted to! Thanks :)