Saturday, November 8, 2008

Frugal Friday Jambalaya

A while back I got a sample kit from McCormick of a bunch of Zatarain's products. I was expecting a box or 2 of stuff, but I ended up with 2 boxes of Jambalaya, 1 microwave pouch of Jambalaya, 1 box of Dirty Rice, 1 box of Red Beans and Rice, 3 boxes of Fish Fry, and 1 box of Crispy Southern Fish Fry. Awesome, no?

Tonight I was feeling lazy and a little broke, so I grabbed a box of Jambalaya, and a pound of smoked turkey sausage from the freezer. I cooked the jambalaya according to the package directions (except I fried the sausage ahead of time, and added it halfway through cooking the rice), and topped it with chopped tomatoes and green onion, and shredded cheese left over from taco night.

Verdict? Very good. A little too much liquid, I think I'll use 2 cups instead of 2.5 next time. Toppings were nice, but probably unnecessary.

How frugal was it? Let's see if I can break it down - one tomato ($0.40), 1 green onion ($0.07), handful of shredded cheese ($0.50), 1 lb smoked turkey sausage (don't remember, probably $4?), 1 box of Zatarain's Jambalaya (free, this time). I fed 3 people, plus leftovers for 2 lunches, for under $5. Nice.

No comments: