Sunday, November 30, 2008

Turkey, Cabbage, and Rice Soup

I hope you made turkey stock from your leftover bird. Even if you didn't, you can use chicken broth to make this soup, or even water with a bouillon cube or two.

For the rice, I used Camargue red rice. Brown or wild rice would also work well. I'll bet barley or wheatberries would be tasty also.

This soup is great as a sort of de-tox, nothing heavy like stuffing, potatoes, etc. Just soup. With veggies. It's good for you.















Slice carrots and celery, chop onion, mince garlic. Saute until slightly softened. Add stock and chopped up leftover turkey, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until the veggies are almost as soft as you want them. Add chopped cabbage and cooked rice, and simmer until the cabbage is wilted. Season with salt and pepper as desired.

4 comments:

kat said...

Now that I'm back from my inlaws I can cook my own turkey & make some stock

Vicki said...

Hi Kat - I love homemade stock, it makes the whole house smell good!

Betts said...

It looks delish, but the cabbage makes me nervous. I'm afraid I might not be able to go out in public for days after eating it.

Vicki said...

Hey Betts -
Replace the cabbage w/kale, I'm sure it would work.