Wednesday, April 2, 2008

They're Alive!

Oh the frustration of not having a camera.

Before we left for Chicago (March 6), I had 3 potatoes in my cabinet (cool, dark place, y'know). When I came back, they had sprouted. A lot. I decided to leave them there for a while longer to see what would happen.

The 2 Yukon golds, about 3 inches long, now have 4-inch sprouts.

The red potato, about 5 inches long, has sprouts coming from 3 places, each with a multitude of arms. The biggest sprout has about 12 arms. Picture a sea anemone attached to a potato.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom always told me that planting those sprouts grows the best potatoes...now that you reminded me of that, I think I'll give it a try! Always meant to but always forgot.

Vicki said...

Ooh, I never thought of that! Think I'll turn my sprouting experiment into a potato-planting experiment!