Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I Challenge Myself...

I've decided to put my cookbook collection to use. My goal is to cook one recipe from each book, in their order on the shelf, until I reach the end. And then start over with new recipes. I will, however, be excluding some of the books, since I'm not fluent in Thai or Hungarian.
















The first book I'll be cooking from is The Silver Spoon. Yes, there are other things before it on the shelf, but they're magazines, which don't count, and something called Savoring China published by Williams Sonoma that I didn't put there, so it doesn't count. My challenge, my rules.

Stay tuned...

5 comments:

test it comm said...

I have a few cookbooks but they tend to remain unused as I keep finding so many recipes online... I should challenge myself to make recipes from my cookbooks as well!

Vicki said...

This really stems from my hubby complaining that my unused books are just "taking up space", and my attempt to prove him wrong.

But I think he pushed me in a good direction - the first recipe from The Silver Spoon went over well (see next post).

Kitt said...

Good idea! Will you get to "Savoring China" eventually?

Does hubby have nothing of his own "just taking up space"? Maybe he has some tools sitting around that he hasn't used for a while ...

Anonymous said...

My wife is in the process of going through every cookbook and cooking magazine we own and creating a list of every one that looks interesting. This is the fourth time she has done this and involves three or four 3" binders.

We own several hundred linear feet of cookbooks.

It will keep her busy for the year and each time she does it, since we are better, more experienced and have a wider array of ingrediants, the recipes become more diverse.

Since I have gotten heavily in to charcuterie it means she has a virtually unlimited supply of such. And we do eat very well

Vicki said...

Hi Kitt - Probably, but I really wanted to cook from Silver Spoon first :-)

Hi ntsc - I wish I had room for that many books!