Friday, April 25, 2008

Pomegranate Urfa Biber Brownies

Ever since I came across this post on Habeas Brulee for Raspberry Pomegranate Urfa-Biber Brownies, I've been dying to make them. I finally got some urfa-biber from World Spice Merchants, and already had the pomegranate molasses. I was still missing the raspberry liquor, and Hubby picked up unsweetened instead of bittersweet chocolate, but I simply couldn't wait any longer.

You start by melting the chocolate and butter with the sugar in a double boiler. Here's a tip - if your glass bowl isn't Pyrex, DO NOT USE IT for a double boiler. I discovered this when I heard the ominous --crack-- from the vicinity of the stovetop. After quickly and messily transferring the melted goo to a stainless steel bowl, things progressed smoothly.

Until it was time to taste. Umm...I don't think you should try to substitute unsweetened chocolate for bittersweet. My brownies were intensely over-cocoa'd. So intensely that I had to throw them out. However, I'm definitely going to try them again (with the right chocolate!), because the pomegranate and chili really went well with the chocolate.

2 comments:

Kitt said...

Ouch! Well at least you can see some potential there!

I just got some pomegranate molasses yesterday, but I've never heard of urfa-biber. Off to Google.

Vicki said...

Hi Kitt - if you can't find urfa-biber, I think Aleppo would be a good substitute. They both have that smoky back-of-the-throat heat.