Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Zucchini, Potato, Leek and Carrot Latkes

I had some squash leftover from my chicken curry, and some potatoes in the cupboard, and decided to make latkes.















1/3 yellow squash
1/3 calabacita
1 small zucchini
2 small Yukon Gold potatoes
1 small red potato
5 baby carrots
3 inch section of a small leek
2 T shredded parmesan
2 T crumbled feta
1 egg
3 T flour
salt
pepper

Shred the squashes, leek and carrot. Squeeze as much water out as possible.
Shred the potatoes. Squeeze them dry too.
Mix veggies together, add in a beaten egg, 3 T of flour, cheeses, and salt and pepper to taste.
















Take golf-ball-sized lumps of the mixture, place in a hot skillet with a little bit of oil (I don't recommend olive oil for this), flatten, and cook until nicely browned.

By the time I made the last batch, a little liquid had accumulated in the bowl, so I decided to set the mixture over a strainer. I want latkes, not veggie-mush pancakes.

I served this with a yogurt-garlic-lemon juice-dill-cayenne sauce. They were so pretty! Green from the zucchini and leek, purple from the potato skin, orange from the carrot. All the vibrant colors almost made me forget that they were fried in peanut oil. (But just a little bit!) Very tasty, highly recommended.

No comments: