Sunday, July 6, 2008

Bannock!

Thanks to my OCD, I collected a bunch of bannock recipes recently. Not the Scottish oat-based ones, but the American (?) flour-based. I wasn't sure if I'd try any of them, but you can't have too many recipes on your hard drive, right?

Well, tonight (while I had access to my kitchen, MIL was reading in her room), I had the urge to bake something, since it had finally cooled down a little. Knowing that milk is always the first thing to spoil in my house, I used the handy-dandy search feature in Windows Explorer, and searched for "milk". Bannock showed up at the top of the list.

This recipe was from everybody likes sandwiches.















These were different from the norm, as the dough was baked on a cookie sheet instead of fried. I used sesame seeds instead of flax seeds, based on the contents of my pantry. I think my cookie sheet was smaller, as they looked to be about double the thickness of ELS's. They were so good! Crunchy outside, slightly chewy inside, nice nuttiness from the seeds. Great with red chile jelly.

I've got 5 more recipes in queue - this may be the start of a bannock bonanza...

No comments: