Monday, July 28, 2008

Coconut Ice Cream

This is by far the easiest ice cream recipe ever. No eggs. No heavy cream. Just open a couple cans. And it's delicious!















I wanted to make ice cream, but didn't want to go to the store for whole milk and heavy cream. I also didn't want to deal with cooking the eggy custardy thing and waiting for it to chill forever.

So I found this recipe for Coconut Ice Cream from Clotilde and Chocolate & Zucchini, and gave it a shot. I used about 1/3 cup of unsweetened dried grated coconut, and 2/3 cup of sweetened dried coconut shreds, because that's what I had. I also was out of vanilla, and had no rum, so I used a capful or so of rum extract. And I cut the sugar to 1/2 cup since some of my coconut was sweetened.

After fighting with my ice cream maker to get the paddle-mixer to stay put, I was rewarded with a tasty coconut ice cream. It's a little grainy, not perfectly creamy like "real" ice cream, but I don't think that's a bad thing. Definitely a keeper.

7 comments:

Kitt said...

Yum! I love it when improvisations come together like that.

MrOrph said...

Nothing like simply throwing it all together into something delicious!

I've got a coconut cantaloupe ice cream coming soon!

Vicki said...

Hi Kitt - me too!
Hi Mr. Orph - That sounds yummy, I might have to say "screw it" to my cantaloupe allergy and try it!

test it comm said...

Coconut ice cream sounds really good!

Vicki said...

Hi Kevin -
You should try it - easy & tasty!

My Sweet & Saucy said...

Great flavor choice for an ice cream!

Vicki said...

Hi Sweet & Saucy -
Empty fridge and Chocolate & Zucchini led me to it, and I thank both!