Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Beer Bread

We bought a case of Corona last week in preparation for a get-together. Imagine how surprised I was when I opened the freezer on Sunday and saw 2 Coronas in the ice bin. Thank God they hadn't exploded.

I took them out and let them thaw out. When they were about half-liquid, I opened one. Big mistake. All the liquid beer shot all over the kitchen. The remaining frozen part expanded to fill the bottle, and kept oozing slowly out of the mouth of the bottle.

With the remaining bottle, I was a little more careful, ie. I let it thaw all the way before opening. Took a taste - blech. Flat. Weird.

So I made bread out of it, using Farmgirl's Basic Beer Bread mix, colby-jack cheese that's been in the fridge forever (not a speck of mold or drying, how strange), a ton of black pepper, and a dash of cayenne.

Yum. Not as crusty as I like my homemade bread, but the cheese and pepper flavors really came through. And no (Mom), it doesn't taste like beer.

So try beer bread if you want homemade bread, don't have time for yeast, and have a beer hanging around.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I made beer bread once, but it's been years ago. Think I'll have to try it again. It sounds like you had a nice party, sorry to hear about the the Corona spraying all over the kitchen. I've done that before. Not a fun mess to clean up.

Vicki said...

Hi Michelle -
At least it was Corona and not something heavy/cloying/sticky, like Guinness! Ooh! That reminds me, I need to make Guinness gingerbread...

kat said...

Beer bread is so good especially along side a hearty chile!

Vicki said...

Hi Kat -
And quick, too! I can't wait to play around with various add-ins.