Friday, September 5, 2008

Potstickers

I made my first dumplings today, aren't they cute?















OK, they're a little mis-shapen. Shut up. And yes, I know the word is 'misshapen', but that just looks weird. Like my dumplings.

I'm not sure if they're jiaozi, gyoza, or fried har gow, but whatever you call them, they were delicious.

I based my recipe on Jaden's, minus the pork, bamboo and salt. Measurement-wise, I just glugged and chopped until it looked good. I also used wonton skins, because that's all that was available in my market. Because of that, I had to moisten the wrapper to get it to stick together, which made it impossible to only pleat one side like Jaden was miraculously able to do.

So, yeah, they look funny. But they didn't leak, and they were great cooked up per Jaden's recipe (fried, steamed, fried again), and dipped in a mix of soy sauce, black vinegar, rice wine and sesame oil.

The best part is that I now have a bag of dumplings in my freezer for a little snack whenever I want. No, I take that back. The best part is that Hubby doesn't like them, so they're all for me.

6 comments:

kat said...

really isn't it all about how they taste?!

Vicki said...

Hi Kat -
Since I'm not on Iron Chef, absolutely!

Astra Libris said...

ooooh, your potstickers sound SO yummy!! Could you send some this way, please? :-)

Vicki said...

Hey Astra -
I'd love to, but they'd probably be a nasty gloppy mess by the time they got there :-)

Kitt said...

Nice! I love dumplings.

They're jiaozi if you boiled them, and fried jiaozi if you fried them after you boiled them, or gyoza if you consider them Japanese rather than Chinese. Har gow I don't know about! Doesn't really matter, as long as they're good.

Vicki said...

Hey Kitt -
They were pan-fried for 1 minute, water added, covered, steam-boiled for 3 minutes, then fried uncovered for another minute...so...I call 'em potstickers. And yes, they were good :-)