Monday, September 8, 2008

Mamey Milkshake

So Ben over at What's Cooking recently did a post on mamey, or sapote, or zapote. I had never had it before, and it looked interesting, so I checked out one of the many Mexican & Central American markets in my area to see if I could find any.

Not only did they have frozen bags of cut-up mamey, they also had whole frozen ones. Into my cart it went.
















Once thawed, I cut it open. What a seed! Took a taste...hmm...not sure if I like it...so into a milkshake it went, a can of evaporated milk, a little less than 1/4 cup of sugar, and the pulp (recipe courtesy of Nestle). Blend and chill in the freezer.














Taste...nope...still don't like it. Oh, and hey! I'm allergic! It's nice to finally be allergic to something I don't care for.

3 comments:

kat said...

what a bummer, at least you tried

Vicki said...

Hi Kat -
I know! Too bad it's not on the Omnivore's 100, at least I could've bolded another...

Vicki said...

Hey Ben -
It may have been overripe, I noticed some darker mushier spots, and some fibrous stringy things...