Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Post #55 - Curry Conundrum & Dal Dilemma

Help!

I've pulled a gazillion recipes for all sorts of curries and dals from the web, and they never turn out like they're supposed to. I could chalk it up to the fact that I'm white-white-white, but most of the recipes are from people who know what they're doing.

Sometimes my curry sauce turns out a little gritty - I can fix that by grinding my spices finer.

I don't have a pressure cooker, but cooking on the stovetop can't make that much of a difference, right?

I use Shah's mild curry powder and Rani brand garam masala, both bought at an Indian grocery, so I figure they're good enough to use.

Other than that, I can't put a finger on it, it just doesn't taste like it should.

Can anybody help with any obvious-to-an-Indian-but-not-to-a-white-girl suggestions?

No comments: