Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Post #72 - The Not-So-Great Pancit Experiment

Recently I bought some thin egg noodles labeled "pancit", so made up my mind to try making the Filipino dish of the same name. Like adobo, I know there are tons of variations out there, so I consulted my husband, who grew up eating his Filipino great-grandfather's cooking, and a Scotsman I work with that's married to a Filipino lady.

What I ended up with could have been very delicious. But I think my noodles had been sitting on the shelf for way too long. They got mealymushy when I added them to the veggies & sauce, and decided to share their mealiness with everything else.

Bleh.

Anyhow, get yourself some dried pancit noodles that haven't been sitting on the shelf since 19XX, and try this:

1/2 lb lean pork, sliced thin
1/2 lb shrimp, peeled, deveined, chopped
1 package (8 oz) pancit noodles
carrots, julienned (I used a handful of baby carrots)
cabbage, sliced/shredded, 1/2 to 1 cup
1 clove of garlic, minced
3 green onions, cut in 1/2 to 1" lengths
soy sauce, about 1T
chicken broth, about 1 to 1/2 cups

Marinate the pork briefly in soy sauce. Heat your wok on high, add some peanut oil, and cook pork until starting to brown. Remove from wok.

Add more oil if necessary, and stirfry the carrots and garlic, then add the cabbage and green onion, and cook a little longer. Mix in the soy sauce and broth, and bring to a boil. Mix in the shrimp, then the noodles.

Stir everything around gently, moving the mass of dried noodles around so they eventually all get softened. (It looks like that'll never happen at the beginning, but trust me, it does.)

Stir the pork back in when the noodles are done, and serve (with Sriracha of course!).

No comments: