Sunday, January 13, 2008

Post #63 - Red Lentil Soup

I've decided that I have to clean out my pantry. Which means that I have to make a lot of pastas, noodles and lentils.

Red Lentil Soup

olive oil
finely minced carrot
finely minced celery
finely minced garlic
finely minced onion
red lentils
broth
coriander, turmeric, cayenne, paprika, black pepper, bay leaf
salt

Saute the veggies in olive oil until soft. Stir in lentils, broth to cover by about an inch, and spices. Simmer until lentils are done, adding more broth if necessary, or conversely, leaving the cover off and raising the heat to evaporate some liquid if it's too thick. Mash the lentils a little with the back of a spoon, and season with salt.

I mixed this into some rice, so I guess it would classify as a dal. I liked it. Hubby hated it so much he rinsed his mouth out.

4 comments:

SteamyKitchen said...

ha- i hope you made him do the dishes!

Vicki said...

Hey Jaden - Not this time, wait til my next post!

Lunch Buckets said...

So he didn't like it?

:)

Vicki said...

I had to physically restrain him from throwing away my bag of red lentils!