Saturday, May 31, 2008

Home Fries with Canadian Bacon

and Fava Beans with Caramelized Onions, all topped with a runny egg.



















The original plan was fried rice with favas and Canadian bacon. But I didn't have enough leftover rice, so I poked around to see what I could do.

I had half a bag of home fries in the freezer, the kind with bits of bell pepper and onion. I also had caramelized onions and a roasted jalapeño leftover from a chicken dinner the night before. (If you live in San Diego county, I highly recommend a trip to Compadre Grilled Chicken just off the 78 on Nordahl.)

While following the package directions for the taters, I chopped up some Canadian bacon, and crisped it separately. I also sautéed some fava beans that I had shelled the night before, and mixed in caramelized onions. When the potatoes were almost done, I mixed in the bacon. All topped off with an egg, scrambled for Hubby and Youngest, and of course runny for me. I love it when I can whip up something on the spur of the moment and have it turn out delicious.

Side note on the favas - while preparing the ice bath for the boiling beans, I dropped an ice cube. Little Dog darted in, grabbed the prize, and retreated.

No comments: