Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Kick Butt Leftover Nachos

I had some chicken and some black bean sauce leftover from yesterday's dinner, and decided the best way to put them to use was to make nachos.

Like I've said earlier, I like fussy fiddly cooking, so just layering some chips in a tray and randomly scattering stuff over them just isn't happening in my kitchen.

I spread out a layer of chips, topped each one with a dab of bean sauce, a piece of diced leftover chicken, a piece of tomato, a couple green onion slices, and half a black olive slice. Shredded cheddar was then semi-randomly scattered on top (but ensuring complete coverage, of course). Then another layer of chips with their accompaniments, then another layer. The whole thing baked at 350 for about 10 minutes, enough to melt the cheese and heat everything up.

We ate right out of the dish, each of us picking up a chip in turn, patiently waiting for the Tapatio bottle to be passed. Straight out of the dish, no plates, but at least we had napkins and sat at the table. All of us were extremely happy with dinner. All four food groups, a little crunchy, a little squishy, a little salty.

Reaffirms my opinion that sometimes leftovers are better than a recipe.

2 comments:

Lucy said...

I like fiddly things, too.

Sounds delicious. Really great use of leftovers (that sound incredibly good).

Vicki said...

Hi Lucy -
I love it when I can not be wasteful and have a delicious meal at the same time. Thanks for visiting!