Sunday, May 18, 2008

Puff Pastry is Not My Friend

Puff pastry from the freezer, asparagus, parmesan and Jarlsberg from the fridge. Sounds good, no?















1. Roll out the pastry to about 16x10". Mine was a little dried out at the folds, a little sticky in other places, and didn't want to roll out nicely. It also didn't want to unglue itself from the cutting board.

2. Place pastry on a baking tray. Score the edges so they'll puff up, and you'll end up with a baskety thing. Bake for 10-15 minutes at 400. I stopped at 10 minutes because it was getting too brown. And the scored edges = baskety thing? Maybe in some kitchens, but not mine.

3. Sprinkle the pastry with grated cheese, lay the asparagus on top, drizzle with olive oil, s&p. Bake for 20-25 minutes. I suggest covering your non-baskety thing edges with foil after about 10 minutes, otherwise they'll overbrown and get all burnt-tasting. I didn't realize this until about 18 minutes had passed.

4. Sprinkle with a little more parmesan. Cut into squares and eat. But if yours turned out like mine, cut off those dumb edges and toss 'em to the dogs.

6 comments:

Kitt said...

Happy dogs, at least! Did the rest of it taste OK? It looks like it should.

Better luck next time!

Vicki said...

Hubby and the youngest didn't like it, the oldest and I thought it was good. But I think I'll stick to roasting and dressing with soy and balsamic.

tigerfish said...

So is it your friend, or not ?
Puff pastry is definitely my friend :D

Vicki said...

Let's just say that puff pastry is my friend if I'm not the one baking it...

test it comm said...

Puff pastry with asparagus and cheese sounds good.

Vicki said...

Sounds good, yes, just don't burn your edges!