Monday, May 19, 2008

Tabouleh

I finally made tabouleh!
















I cooked up the bulgar before I had any idea what I wanted to do with it.

Ransacking the fridge, I found 1 tomato, 2 green onions, a cucumber, a little red onion, a serrano, and most of a bunch of parsley.

Sounds like tabouleh to me!

Tabouleh
bulgar (I used medium, or #2)
water or stock
parsley
tomato
cucumber
onion
hot chile, if you like
lemon juice
olive oil
salt & pepper

Use a 1.5:1 ratio of liquid to wheat. I used a cup of bulgar (which ended up being too much for the veggies I had) and 1.5 cups of water/stock. Dump the bulgar into a heat-safe bowl. Add a pinch of salt. Bring water/stock to a boil. Pour over bulgar, cover tightly, and let sit until the water is absorbed, 10-20 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

Chop everything else up. I included some of the stems of the parsley because I like them. Mix up the veggies, and add bulgar until it looks right. Remember, this is a parsley salad, not a bulgar salad. Dress with lemon juice and olive oil, s&p. Add a little sumac powder if you're feeling dangerous.

To serve: I was too lazy to drive 1 mile to the grocery store, but not too lazy to attempt to make my own naan. Should've burned the fuel. I guess I knew better when I read the recipe, which said to let the dough rest until doubled in size, yet there was no yeast involved...

Anyhoo, leftover tabouleh will make a good salad for lunch at work tomorrow, especially after I add some Italian oil-packed tuna. Mmm...

4 comments:

Heather said...

Your leftover plans sound even more delicious!

Vicki said...

They were! I did tuna & tabouleh in lettuce leaves. Yum.

test it comm said...

Looks good. I tried making tabouleh for the first time not too long ago and enjoyed it.

Vicki said...

Hi Kevin -
I think your tabouleh post was part of my inspiration!